Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Secretariat

This is a great, wholesome movie.  I am so glad we own it.  We have had this movie for a while but I had not been in the mood to watch it.  Tonight, when Tim suggested it, it just sounded perfect.  My dad came in town today too so he watched it with us (he has already seen it twice).  This movie is about the best racing horse that ever lived.  Secretariat, also named Big Red, won the triple crown in 1973.  The triple crown is a combination of three races: the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, and the Belmont Stakes.  A horse gets one shot at winning the triple crown and can only race as a three year old.  The Kentucky Derby is the longest race that the horse has run up to that point.  The Preakness is the shortest race of the three and the Belmont Stakes is the longest race, totaling a mile and a half.  At the Belmont Stakes, Secretariat won by 31 lengths.  If you are wondering how I know so much about horse racing, it is because horse racing is something my family has followed since I was little.  Some of my best memories are going to the Kentucky Derby with my parents.  My dad has always loved the races.  Actually, my dad, mom and papaw were all at the Kentucky Derby when Secretariat won.  My dad was also at the Belmont Stakes when Secretariat won the triple crown.  According to my dad, when Secretariat pulled ahead everyone stood and cheered.  He said that everyone was looking for a hero in those days and that Secretariat became that hero.  I really enjoyed this movie and I feel like I was there after listening to the stories from my dad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment